Skip to main content

How do I write? A guide to get you started.

A lot of people around me ask me almost every time I bring up writing in conversation. And given that it takes a considerable amount of my time, apart from teaching, writing do comes up a lot. People ask me all the time, 

How do you write?

How can you write?

How do you find the time?

What motivates you to write?

How do you stay even focused with children hammering doors and throwing toys around?

Don't you think you can do something better?

You are an engineer, why do you bother with writing reviews and bullshit like this?

To fully answer all the questions is a tad bit difficult because it is no small feat. The topic is too important, vast and extremely close to my heart. I really do not want to cram information into a single post that makes no sense. Instead, I planned to make it a series of posts that we can all relate to, and the first question in the series I decided to discuss is "How do I write?"

Writing is NOT easy

To be honest there is no recipe for writing. Now the first thing you need to accept fully, writing is not easy. 
Anyone who says writing is easy isn't doing it right. Amy Joy
From the moment I start writing, till I am done with an article or review or some lyrics, I am grasping at straws. The hardest part is to get it all out. Sometimes I spend hours trying to get it right and still things come out jumbled. It is a place of constant frustration. Many times I am angry, but I try my best to keep it under control. Other times I tend to break stuff. My point is, writing is not easy. You need patience, and a lot of it too.

Persistence is a Virtue

Well, everything needs time, writing more so, and more importantly, a writer needs to keep writing. While I started I used to sit for hours and still come up with a few lines at a time. Sometimes I get appreciated and most of the time I had to hear something along the lines of, "That's awful dude." 
The first thing you have to learn when you go into the arts is to learn to cope with rejection. If you can’t, you’re dead. Warren Adler
In every profession you take it step by step. You have to work for moving up. Write over and over again because practice makes us 'near perfect'. 
You don't start out writing good stuff. You start out writing crap and thinking it's good stuff, and then gradually you get better at it. That's why I say one of the most valuable traits is persistence. Octavia E. Butler

Pure emotions are the base

 I started out with poetry in my native language. I discovered early in my journey that this relationship between pen and paper needs genuine emotion. I write as close to what I feel. I observe how others feel and how they react to certain things. While writing a situation, it doesn't need to be eloquent and all smooth, but it sure as hell needs to be pure. I always try not to mix it up too much. I think that writing is the best outlet to conceal emotions, at the same time revealing a part of it. Remember that the best things always come from following your heart.
Write straight into the emotional center of things. Write toward vulnerability. Risk being unliked. Anne Lamott

Read to hone imagination

I had a phase where I used to read 6-7 hundred pages a day, and that was along with my school work. The thing is, back then I didn't think much about the content, every book got my attention. With time I moved on to productive content. Autobiographies, history, philosophy are some topics I came to appreciate.
Can I be blunt on this subject? If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.  Stephen King
Reading is a habit that takes you a long way and hones imagination. A good writer really needs to put himself in situations he is writing, so the best way to write is to experience it. If it's out of your culture, society or circle you are writing about, reading about it is the best thing you can do. Make it a habit to read at least a few pages a day.

Be nice to your characters

I observe people around me. Everyone I know is a possible character of my story. I try my best to communicate and be in touch. If you really know them, if you know what makes them tick, you can develop your characters easily. Let's imagine it this way, be nice to your characters because soon you have to become them.
A writer is a dangerous friend. Everything you say, all of your life and experience, is fodder for our writing. Randy Murray

Write for yourself

Every writer needs to know that you should write for yourself. I write for myself because no matter how commercialized writing I can handle, I will not truly be happy. I used to think a lot on the  subject, until I settled on "one for you, one for me." Keep a balance between commercialized content and what you like. 50/50 isn't a bad figure, after all, it is life. Cheers!
Dance above the surface of the world. Let your thoughts lift you into creativity that is not hampered by opinion. Red Haircrow

Conclusion

Every writer has his own process. I tried my best to give tell you what I do. Start writing today and do let me know, how it goes. I would love to know if it helps a single person out there. 

Brian Clark's 10 Steps to Becoming a Better Writer;

"Write.

Write more.

Write even more.

Write even more than that.

Write when you don’t want to.

Write when you do.

Write when you have something to say.

Write when you don’t.

Write every day.

Keep writing.” 

Comments

Popular Posts

25 Reason as to Why should you start a Blog !

Blog writing is an absolute delight to many of my kith and kin out there. Have you ever heard of it? I am sure you have. Do you have any idea of the value of a blog? Do you know the pros and cons of it? Have you ever thought about blogging online? If you want to know more on the subject, you have come to the right place fellas. In this post, I will try my best to highlight what blogging really is and what are the benefits of it. Blogging is a big market out there. It is an advanced way to expand businesses, control information centers and create a hub for information sharing. A writer or even a common person can use it to further his hobbies. People share real-life experiences, professional opinions and a lot of people pay good money to pick a person’s brain for expertise. The blog is a source of passive income. No doubt people are earning a lot from blogging but you should know this beforehand that the income phase is too far in the line. Building a subs

KUWAIT STOCK EXCHANGE; A REVIEW

Before the inception of Kuwait Stock Exchange (KSE), a few partner shareholding companies were serving as a pivotal point for the country’s investment platform, but the real progress towards becoming one of the best emerging SE started with KSE. The idea of a national exchange market was legislated in October 1962, and it was achieved in 1977, and named as Kuwait Stock Exchange (KSE) in 1983. KSE was among the very first and foremost stock exchange market in the Gulf, named as the second largest and strongest exchange market after Saudi Arabia. The Kuwait’s National Exchange has been regulated by the combine efforts of Ministry of Finance, the Central Bank of Kuwait, the Ministry of Commerce and Industry and Kuwait Stock Exchange. The KSE was a first step to make Kuwait a safe haven for investors, with the only goal of strengthening country’s economy, with a clear and concise code of conduct for secure entities and securities transactions. With the introduction of Kuwaiti C

The Key to High Returns Is a Disciplined Strategy By Ken Hawkins in Review

The act of allocating your resources, given the opportunity, to gain future benefits, is a basic human trait. No matter what state of mind you are in, you are always striving to achieve exponential results on your invested time, money and efforts. The investment however, needs to be thought out carefully because if you are not careful, you will end up depleting your available resources. What prompted the need of investment personnel is their access to a well-thought and carefully strategized process. If you think about it, investment strategy is merely the result of research and diversification, founded on the Warren Buffett's good investing principle, capped with a cold-calculated emotional state. Consider the process of tending a garden, you need to take care of it before expecting flowers and plants prospering there. The investment is the same, you have to work for effective investment strategy. Strategic Asset Mix The strategic asset mixed is a well-thought di

Youth Entrepreneurship in UAE; An excrept

UAE despite being ranked 8 th highest per capita incomes and high standard living, has an unemployment ratio of 14 %. About 80 % jobs go to foreign professionals. With the criticality of the matter, entrepreneurship been added to diversification well to tap into hidden potential, by consulting literature and demographics to identify potential initiatives. The initiatives were rooted for by stakeholders, entrepreneurs, and youth consultants. The idea was planted in the age group 15-34 years, making up about 42 % of UAE population, because the age group has 18% unemployment rate, with a concentration of 62% women. There is a hefty concentration of 25% students which is severely in needs of opportunities. The Global Entrepreneurship Monitor reflect that self-employment (Total Early Stage Entrepreneurial Activity or TEA) is about 1%, out of total 3% unemployment concentration in UAE, as compared to 35% in Lebanon and 30% in Korea. What’s most challenging in bringing youth to t

A penny for your thoughts !

Name

Email *

Message *

Earn Free Bitcoins!

Earn Free Bitcoins!
Mine with freebitco.in